mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Can i do this…..?"

Posted on: April 06, 2006 @ 06:57 AM
zeze
Total Posts:  0
Joined  03-08-2006

hey everyone /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

Can the mo do this........

Could i set the different midi chanels to play either the internal sounds or a external instrument?

I.e
midi chan 1 to play the mo, midi chan 2 to play a vst synth midi chan 3 to play the mo etc?.  or if its not able to do that would it be possible to just turn volume all the way down on the channels that i want to play the external sounds on ?

Also if have have some midi loops set up in section A midi chan 1 is it possible for the patterns to play external sounds instead of the internal mo sounds?

cheers

zeze

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2006 @ 07:03 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Can i do this.....?

Each track on the MO sequencer can be set to play either internal Parts or external channels on a per track basis. The default condition is that it is set to play both.

If you wish to change the transmit arrangement, here’s how:

From the main SONG or PATTERN screen:
Press [[F3] TRACK
Press [SF2] OUT SW (Output Switch)
You can set it on a per track basis
INT SW = ON plays internal MO sounds
EXT SW = ON plays external sounds

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2006 @ 07:06 AM
zeze
Joined  03-08-2006

Thx for the VERY fast reply Bad /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

i was just gona edit that MSG, as i fogot to ask some thing.....

Can the mo transmit porgram/bank change messages to external synths via the front pannel buttons??

also you didnt say if patterns can play external sounds or just the internal mo sounds? i am assuming that if say pattern section A is on midi chan 1 and midi chan 1 is set to play an external module then the patterns will infact play that module, is this right?

thanks again /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

zeze

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2006 @ 07:27 AM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

Generally no… I believe when you change voice selection on the MO that it may transmit the Bank Select (MSB and LSB) as well as Program Change commands - but unless the external device has the same voice banks as the MO (meaning that it is a MO) then these MIDI commands will not be particularly useful for setting up other devices.

Having said that, you can program Master Setups that will transmit appropriate Bank Select and Program Change commands to external gear when that Master setting is selected. For more information, you should check out Bad_Mister’s Understanding Motif ES Master Mode Power User Guide. (While written for the Motif ES, this article applies to the MO as well.)

Regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2006 @ 07:35 AM
zeze
Joined  03-08-2006

Thx for that Brad /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

But still no one has answerd my question about the pattern section being able to play external sounds or just the internal mo sounds ?

cheers

zeze

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2006 @ 07:47 AM
BradWeber
Joined  07-26-2002

Actually Bad_Mister did answer your question /forums/images/icons/cool.gif alt=

By setting the INT SW and EXT SW parameters in the [PATTERN]-->[F3] TRACK-->[SF2] OUT SW dialog you can determine which parts are played on the internal tone generator and which are transmitted to be played by an external tone generator (or both if desired).

Regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2006 @ 08:44 AM
zeze
Joined  03-08-2006

yes your right Brad, the question was answerd.

Tthx alot for both of your help, its much appreciated

cheers

zeze /forums/images/icons/wink.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2006 @ 12:45 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Can the mo transmit porgram/bank change messages to external synths via the front pannel buttons??

Yes, but unless your devices has the same Bank Select and Program Change info as the MO it is better handled
1) From the Sequencer
2) via MASTER mode

You can input Bank Select and Program Changes as a “packed event” in the sequencer… in other words, Bank Select is typically two separate Control Change messages (an MSB cc000 and an LSB cc032) then this is followed by the Program Change. So for example, typically you would need to send a cc000 message with a value from 0-127, then a cc032 message with a value from 0-127, followed by the Program Change from 0-127.

The MO makes this a lot easier by allowing you to insert a single line message ("packed"), as follows:

MSB-LSB-PC

So for example, if your external device needed a (MSB) cc000 value 000, and a (LSB) cc032 value 112, and a Program Change of 34, you would simply insert a packed Program Change message in the MO sequence:

000-112-034

MASTER mode allows you to send a MSB, a LSB and a PC to each of 4 ZONES if necessary.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2006 @ 04:16 PM
zeze
Joined  03-08-2006

Well that sounds pretty cool, thanks Bad /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

so if i dont need the bank select, i could just use the program change right, could that be done from the front panel, i assume it could because all/most instruments respond to the same program change message right?

cheers

zeze

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2006 @ 04:40 PM
BradWeber
Joined  07-26-2002

You are misinterpreting what Phil is describing. All he was stating is that if you embed a Bank Select and Program Change events in a song or pattern track in the MO, the MO allows you to enter these three MIDI commands at once using one insert event command. The MO will still send Bank Select MSB, Bank Select LSB and Program Change MIDI commands.

Also, while all MIDI enabled instruments respond to progam change commands, unless they are very simple instruments with a single (typically General MIDI) voice bank, sending just a program change command will not allow you to select the specific voice you wish to have played.

Finally, as described above, “...unless the external device has the same voice banks as the MO (meaning that it is a MO) then MIDI commands [generated by pressing the front panel buttons] will not be particularly useful for setting up other devices...”

As Phil points out you’ll want to either embed bank select/program change commands in the MIDI tracks of your song or create a Master setup that transmits this information to your external gear.

Regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2006 @ 05:14 AM
zeze
Joined  03-08-2006

Ok got ya Brad, thanks again.

cheers

zeze /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]