mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Do you have to be high to be creative? *DELETED*"

Page 2 of 3
Posted on: February 07, 2005 @ 11:59 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

Re: Do you have to be high to be creative?

Tech, such expletives are not welcome by the majority of the users on the forum.

Please treat others with a lot more respect and you might get some in return.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 07, 2005 @ 12:13 PM
TechT10n
Total Posts:  43
Joined  02-03-2005

That fool is a jerk, very similar to the real Dr.Phil…

I appologize to those that I have mistakenly offended.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 07, 2005 @ 12:56 PM
admin
Total Posts:  9578
Joined  12-09-2008

“That fool is a jerk, very similar to the real Dr.Phil...”

A jerk assumes another person’s religion and castigates him unjustly for it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 07, 2005 @ 11:13 PM
TechT10n
Joined  02-03-2005

Im sorry if I offended you. Dont be so arrogant.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 08, 2005 @ 03:18 PM
admin
Total Posts:  9578
Joined  12-09-2008

“Dont be so arrogant. “

Don’t be so offensive or dismissive.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 08, 2005 @ 09:03 PM
TechT10n
Joined  02-03-2005

LOL you dissed me first, I was just returning fire.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2005 @ 02:01 PM
Hugo
Total Posts:  1001
Joined  10-21-2003

So, to get back on topic; anyone else have any opinions on the subject, or personal experience?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2005 @ 06:29 PM
Cloudbusting
Total Posts:  0
Joined  07-29-2002

Ole Jerry said:

“I got drunk one night, and created a track, then posted it.
The next day, I listened to the track, and said to myself,,"Self, what the HELL WERE YOU DOING?”

Hey Jerry thanks for the laugh.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2005 @ 10:36 AM
rkanon
Joined  09-27-2004

I think alcohol and certain drugs have valuable contributions to give to music making- when used correctly and in non-abusive manners.  With alcohol for example, a few beers will loosen you up and allow you to play more fluidly, a few more beers will almost always take away from your peak creativity.  Other drugs give you fresh perspectives to create from, once again if used responsibly and for that purpose.  If you arn’t trying to apply those expiriences to sobriety then your missing the most valuable aspects of them.
Much of that stage of my life is over but I now have perspectives that I may have otherwise never known.  I concider that to be invaluable to musicians, artists, any “seekers of the path” whatever that path may be.

Billrock put it best, though I think he left out the greatest high there is- playing music.  Just jamming with people creates a high like no other.  No drug that I have ever expirienced is quite like that one. 

Rob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2005 @ 01:13 PM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

Trouble with most drugs is that they only give you the feeling of everything being better without it actually being better.

For instance, people who drink and drive do so in the sure and certain knowledge that they are “the best drivers in the world” but unfortunately the alcohol has removed inhibitions and raised reaction times so drivers who drink are in truth worse drivers because of the alcohol.

Does this work for creativity - hmm, what I seem to be arguing is that alcohol gives one the impression that everything is rosy when on a clear headed day it could be clearly observed that the actual output is worse.

Just a thought.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2005 @ 02:57 PM
rkanon
Joined  09-27-2004

I agree with you Wellie, when people ingest certain drugs for the purpose of feeling better or escaping reality they are trying to medicate thier sober situation, which is, in my opinion, the most unhealthy way of approaching these substances.  Moderation and approching the expirience as a chance to learn something new can yield invaluable perspectives that can be applied to all parts of everyday life.  People who look for an escape from thier reality only find dissapointment at the end of the tunnel. 
As far as alcohol is concerned- from recording shows I’ve concluded that 2-3 beers has a positive effect on my playing, often times more will as well, but just as often I will over play parts that, in retrospect I would of played diffrently with less beer.
In the end I guess it is a personal quest for that which benefits who you want to be- any activity will either benefit or hurt you, some more then others.  I guess the idea is to weed out that which you believe is a hinderance to who you want to be and partake in the activities that ultimatly benefit you.  And once again eating healthy, exercising, engaging the world with positivity and playing music will do more for your creativity and personal center then any drug out there.

Rob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2005 @ 01:36 AM
Way_ne
Total Posts:  1291
Joined  01-26-2003

I would have to say on this topic, that judging by the attached .gif file (97kb), the answer would have to be a definite yes /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= .

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2005 @ 02:42 AM
ohernie
Total Posts:  450
Joined  10-13-2003

“I agree with you Wellie, when people ingest certain drugs for the purpose of feeling better or escaping reality they are trying to medicate thier sober situation, which is, in my opinion, the most unhealthy way of approaching these substances.”

It depends on whether the escape is considered transient or permanent, or in other words, where one wants to live.  The difference between one who enjoys alcohol and drugs and an alcoholic or druggie is that the latter’s reality is centered in the induced state whereas the former is “just visiting”.

Relief from reality is a normal part of life.  Movies, TV, vacations, Disney World, Wally World, alcohol and sex are all socially accepted transient reliefs from one’s reality.

To be creative is to create - to make something from nothing.  Drugs and alcohol will always help that process.  Drugs will generally do that by creating alternative realities, alcohol by loosening the inhibitions.  If blathering were art then both would be responsible for masterpieces.  Unfortunately art requires the ability to filter one’s work, to decide when a riff or phrase is trite or out of place, and to then go back and work on and correct it.  Drugs and alcohol may enhance the raw material of creativity but they do nothing for the ability to decide what creations should be kept and developed upon and which should be discarded.  Mixed bag.

And BTW, I just got back from my after gig wind-down at the local bar so the above comments are all alcohol effected and affected.  I presume you will all note the serious deterioration of my logical faculties so I’ll apologize in advance ...

(Yeah, Wally World was a joke ... but it was creative, wasn’t it?)

Ernie

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2005 @ 03:20 AM
hamletmaschine
Total Posts:  996
Joined  02-22-2004

Well, Ohernie, I don’t know what Wally World is, but you bring up an interesting point. Is creativity merely to create, or is it to create something good? Now, we will all differ on what ‘good’ means, but under the broad definition, creation is an end in itself, so this includes Westlife, Justin and all the rest.

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2005 @ 03:29 AM
ohernie
Total Posts:  450
Joined  10-13-2003

Wally World:  Amusement park family destination in National Lampoon’s “Vacation” (movie).

Ernie

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 3

Previous Topic:

‹‹ PREDICTIONS? Next Best Yamaha Keyboard..?
Next Topic:

SuperComputer on a Chip! ››