mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "PREDICTIONS? Next Best Yamaha Keyboard..?"

Page 3 of 3
Posted on: February 23, 2005 @ 01:52 PM
Dynosaur
Total Posts:  764
Joined  01-07-2003

Re: PREDICTIONS? Next Best Yamaha Keyboard..?

<>

A little of both. My client was persuaded by Microsoft sales people to deploy Windows OS on all 20,000 workstations in the company--back in 1991. I had no say in the matter due to my position in the muck layer of the pond.

<

Since that time, management has switched a certain segment of developers to Unix/Linux/Java/Java Beans, etc. I’m jealous because I was held back. ;-)

But our mainstay in my department is C++ with a lot of VB, ASP, and VBScript thrown in. I don’t think an organization this big (1,100 in IT) can afford to arbitrarily select one OS over another anymore. They’re more influenced by the tools they’ll need to support apps they buy from vendors and consultants.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2005 @ 04:01 AM
eric_weber
Total Posts:  0
Joined  03-29-2004

I wonder why I should bother about polyphony or waveform size beyond whether the sound is right for me or not. Why is it so much easier today to buy a second-hand Motif, Triton or Fantom than it is to buy a second-hand Mini-moog or a CP-70? If these workstations really were all one ever needed, making everything older than its latest OS upgrade obsolete, how come so many people keep selling or trading them in? To “upgrade” and hopefully “improve”? Vicious cycle, if you ask me! How much money does one need to spend to realize that the only thing that ultimately improves is the balance sheet of the manufacturer (hopefully, if you’re a shareholder!) and one’s computer programming but not necessarily musical ability ?

The lucky few who own a proper real piece of musical gear (ie, one that is all about sound, not gimmicks, and where playing a chord involves “tickling ivory”, not pressing buttons) know how incomparable and irreplaceable it is - and will be for a long time to come - regardless of what the “next best keyboard” is advertised / proclaimed to be.

Anybody interested in a second-hand ES6? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2005 @ 05:12 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

I hear ya, Eric, but there are folks like me who upgrade their gear rarely.

I bought my ES6 a few weeks ago, my last keyboard purchase before that was in 1990 when I bought an Ensoniq SQ-80 (which I’m keeping for now). I expect to keep my ES6 at least as long (assuming it holds up).

Year by year as the SQ-80 got more “obsolete” I would get wowed by the features of the latest boards but it took a lot to get me to finally open up my wallet...the feature set of the ES was finally “just enough” to tempt me.

Keyboards lose their value too rapidly. Unlike old analogs (where prices are driven by scarcity), today’s $2000 synth is worth maybe $5-600 after 5 years and $2-300 after 10 years making constant upgrading a very expensive proposition.  I’m not willing to flush my cash down the toilet every other year, I prefer to wait until I’m going to get a significiant benefit for my investment (the time spent mastering the new synth as well as the money).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2005 @ 12:16 PM
___
Joined  10-08-2002

There’s really not that many supurb high-end flagship workstation synths to buy anyway.  Motif ES, Triton Studio, or Oaysis if you’re rich, dumb or both.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2005 @ 07:48 PM
eric_weber
Joined  03-29-2004

Well said, Meatballfuton. I purchased an ES6 last year after 12 years of TS-12 & modules / samplers (hardware only) because I thought it was time to expand my musical horizon with an ES in terms of sound production & - quality. But I guess I am just too bad a programmer / musician to get that extra something out of the ES that the “real thing” (ie Rhodes, Moog etc), stand-alone effect processors and samplers couldn’t already give me. That could win me the award for “Worst possible customer” in the workstation sales-circus! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

I’ve decided that until there is a workstation OS that uses VOICE RECOGNITION to navigate I’ll keep my money in the bank (that’ll take a while!), and use the ES as a “complement” rather than a “replacement”.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2006 @ 04:23 PM
Col_Klink
Joined  11-24-2002

I don’t need no stinkin’ sampler, sequencer, DAW

Yep, who needs a digital audio recorder and sequencer built into a synth?  I bought a REAL synth...a Roland V-Synth...a real no-nonsense sythesizer.

Now that I want to sell it, it is next to worthless.  WHY? Because the jughead 20 and 30 somethings think they can create, arrange, record, produce, market, and distribute the lastest and greatest CD with a SINGLE WORKSTATION, lol.  I just got off of e-bay.  There are no less than SIX V-Synths offered...most cost LESS than HALF the streetprice.

If you are a gearslut who understands the market and realizes that you will be selling your “keyboard” within five years of purchasing it...I would advise buying a big ole wasteful WORKSTATION with useless functions on it than a REAL STAND-ALONG SYNTH.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 12, 2006 @ 11:55 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

Re: I don’t need no stinkin’ sampler, sequencer, DAW

Six - is that all? That’s not such a big number.

The V-synth is a misunderstood product. It’s a sound design tool, and at that it excels.. But it is not an all-in-one solution.

I don’t have any intention of getting rid of mine. As a matter of fact, my accountant advised me last week not to get rid of anymore of my gear until the depreciation runs its course. Plus there have been many times when I find myself wishing I hadn’t gotten rid of something. That’s why my JP-8000 and Ion and my CX-3 still sit in my studio.

You want worthless - try cars. If there’s a “king of bad investments” it has to be the automobile, rare or collectors’ cars notwithstanding. At least with a keyboard you can still make some music with it or write a song no matter how old it gets.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 15, 2006 @ 02:02 PM
OldOne
Joined  09-15-2003

Re: I don’t need no stinkin’ sampler, sequencer, DAW

I agree with Dave ,and I wish unregistered would stop bashing the Oasys,its a hell of a board and I think its very much worth the money.I love the ES also,and all my other boards-----Like Dave said,the car is one of the worst investments,unregistered must not own one of them either.!

[ Ignore ]  

Page 3 of 3