mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Keeping the band in time using the sequencer"

Posted on: January 26, 2005 @ 09:54 PM
poorguitargolfer
Total Posts:  0
Joined  01-26-2005

I have a Motif 6(Not ES). I have several sequences programed however when I attempt to use them with my band we get out of time.

This is due to the fact that my drummer gets lost. Is there a way (Possibly through one of the assignable outputs) I can send him the “click” signal or a drum signal so that he can stay in time with the sequencer.

I do not want this “click” or drum signal to go out to my main PA (obviously).

If anyone know how to address this please give me detailed instructions.

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2005 @ 03:25 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

Re: Keeping the band in time using the sequencer

You may require a separate sequencer track and a spare voice in the song Mix (though I think you can assign the metronome click to an assignable out - it’s just a bit boring) and using this new track you can set up a click or even a more complex beat to give the drummer something to play to. You assign the outputs by going to song - mix - edit and then finding the page on which you set the output and there you can assign this voice to one of the extra outputs. Once assigned there it does not sound on the main outputs.

Hope this is helpful

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2005 @ 09:22 AM
KyleB
Total Posts:  2722
Joined  12-03-2002

i would find a new drummer !!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2005 @ 09:36 AM
Ole Jerry
Total Posts:  0
Joined  10-28-2004

Or you could do this.
send me the audio track, without the drums.
I then will create a midi drumline, played in realtime,,just for the hell of it...LOL
I love this stuff,,,and I can play in any genre,,no problem.
Now, if this does’nt help,, at least you know I care.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2005 @ 10:50 AM
ohernie
Total Posts:  450
Joined  10-13-2003

Be aware that many drummers cannot follow a click track.

Ernie

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2005 @ 12:33 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

I’ve gotten used to handling this situation.

In your song there does indeed have to be a click (I use the drumstick sound, some drummers want the cowbell). It has to go through the entire length of the song.

This click track gets assigned to a separate output, which routes the signal to headphones which your drummer will have to wear. This is where it gets a bit tricky.

You need your own mixer with at least two aux sends, which can be configured to either PRE or POST.. “PRE” means that the volume of the sound going to the aux is NOT determined by the channel fader/knob it’s routed through. It is determined by the aux send control for that channel. The click gets routed to a mixer channel and you control the volume to the drummer by using the PRE aux send control.

On the mixer itself, you hook up a cable (feed) to Aux Send 1’s PRE aux send’s output. This goes to the headphone amp which drives the headphones your drummer will use.

Aux Send 2’s PRE output I route to the house (or snake). This allows me to control the amount of signal fed to the main P.A., INDEPENDENTLY of how I set my
own mixer for onstage monitoring.

Now I have complete control over who gets what. I can send varying amounts of the other keyboards to the drummer and the house mixer, and both can have independent mixes. The click only appears in the drummer’s headphones, never in the monitors or the house. Another benefit - I can hook up my keyboards stereo outputs to my mixer, but since I can route each channel to an aux send, I can send a summed mono signal to the house without any phase problems - or at least none that any soundman has ever complained about. I have never seen much point in running stereo keys to the house P.A., most of the time house P.A.’s are in dual mono anyway.

The reason you can’t have your drummer play along in time with a sequence in any other fashion is because of monitoring problems - even if he/she can hear you through monitors, there is a time lag involved with that.
And even the best musicians are not machines and can get ahead or behind any sequence without a click reference.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2005 @ 01:06 PM
ohernie
Total Posts:  450
Joined  10-13-2003

“And even the best musicians are not machines and can get ahead or behind any sequence without a click reference.”

And that is a good thing.

Ernie

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 28, 2005 @ 03:26 AM
KyleB
Total Posts:  2722
Joined  12-03-2002

thats true..but at my church our drummer plays along with percussion coming from an MPC into his monitor and only his monitor....it works well…

he is 99.9% in the pocket....i guess he is an exception..

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 28, 2005 @ 08:26 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

That makes sense. Because it is coming out of only his monitor.

That doesn’t work if you are using a Motif/ES to run the show, then you have to use another method, such as the one I described.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 28, 2005 @ 02:49 PM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

You can of course take the click from the aux out of the Mo to a headphone amp and run it directly that way.

We had a system based on the click running out of the aux to a small Peavey Rage practice amp - had its own headphones socket which muted the speaker when the phones were plugged in /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= It worked until someone tripped over the jack lead and pulled it out of the socket, thus disabling the click and leaving the drummer wondering what to do /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

Ahh, memories /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Low level digital out from MOTIF 8
Next Topic:

Metronome question ››