mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "PLG150-AP - hands on review"

Page 3 of 3
Posted on: November 09, 2004 @ 04:53 PM
audiology
Total Posts:  876
Joined  01-25-2004

Re: PLG150-AP - hands on review

The following links to John Melas’ Voice Copier:

[url=http://www.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/~jmelas/motif/]http://www.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/~jmelas/motif/ [/url]

“Supports Motif Classic/S90/Motif Rack/Motif ES!”

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2004 @ 09:37 AM
88keyplayer
Total Posts:  0
Joined  06-23-2003

I played the PLG150-AP in an ES6 and an ES8 and was not overly impressed.  There still just isn’t enough memory to have long enough samples.  Although it is better than the internal Mo piano, it sounds very much like the S700 from the CD-Rom/S90.
My problem with it is getting it brighter in the top layer without being too bright in the bottom layers.  Someone may know how to break down the elements to remedy this but I don’t.
Opening the cutoff filter, adding resonance and eq helps but this seems to overly affect the medium and hard strike layers of the sample and not the initial touch playing softly.
I wouldn’t even bring up comparing to a real grand but then you can’t bring your grand downstairs and load it in the car and go to a gig either.
Yamaha didn’t intend to replace real grand pianos or dedicated sampled pianos.  In all fairness I would have to play it on a gig before I could decide if it was worth it to me.  Music stores are not a good place to really test drive it.  Ask your store if you can try it out live and return it if it doesn’t work for you.  If your a good customer they probably will.  They have to have one installed in the store to demo it anyway.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2004 @ 10:01 PM
abath07
Joined  08-29-2004

What speakers are you using for it on the gig? That will be a critical factor in how bright it sounds. Most “keyboard amps” will not give a clear mid range and presence in the hi frequencies. Meyers Sound speakers would be good, also EAW or KV2 speakers. I am using EV SXa360 and they are fairly clear and full bodied in the mids.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2004 @ 03:15 PM
Lachoza
Joined  10-08-2004

Wow, I’ve never seen the word “visceral” used soo much in one post!  /forums/images/icons/wink.gif alt=

Just kidding with ya man.

I agree with what you said.  Acoustic piano sampling, while getting better, is never going to be like the real thing.  We just have to settle for what we can get which is still damn good IMO.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 3 of 3

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Help me use my new PLG150-VL!
Next Topic:

Brilliant Marketing -- PLG150AP ››