mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Change pattern section via SYSEX / MIDI"

Posted on: May 09, 2004 @ 01:00 PM
bosy385
Total Posts:  0
Joined  01-24-2004

Is it possible to change the pattern section via SYSEX message or any other kind of MIDI message (MMC, MTC).
I know how to set the Motif Classic to Pattern mode via SYSEX message. But what do I have to do to
(1) set the section button to “ON” / “OFF”
(2) set the track select button to “ON” / “OFF”
(3) select e.g. pattern section “D”
(4) change pattern style to e.g. “5”
From the Power User Guide about using the MFC10 with the Motif ES I know that a pattern CAN be selected via MIDI port but I do not know how.
Did anybody try this and found a solution?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2004 @ 02:22 PM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

Re: Change pattern section via SYSEX / MIDI

There doesn’t appear to be a lot of information on this topic, but if you check the System Exclusive entry in the Receive Flow Table on page 43 of the Motif Data List , it appears that if you are in Pattern Mode, you can select the Pattern Section and Style to play by sending the following System Exclusive command:[list]F0H 43H 7EH 00H ssH ddH F7H[/list:u]Unfortunately, the documentation doesn’t call out what the ssH and ddH values are, but I would assume they are Pattern Style and Section and comparing it with the Motif ES which doesn’t allow you to chain across pattern (styles), my guess is that ddH = Style (00H - 3FH = 1 - 64) and ssH = Section (00H - 0FH = A - P).

Give it a try and let us know what you discover.

Regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2004 @ 03:28 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Section Change command is:  F0 43 7E 00 ss dd F7; where ss is the Section and dd is the data byte; either 7F = ON or 00 = OFF. The receiving Yamaha device receives this message via MIDI IN (only). (This message cannot be placed in the sequencer to change itself, obviously).

F0 43 7E 00 ss dd 7F
“ss” is the Section A-P
and “dd” = 7F = ON (Change = ON).

Sections (ss) are as follows:
A = 00
B = 01
C = 02
D = 03
E = 04
F = 05
G = 06
H = 07
I = 08
J = 09
K = 0A
L = 0B
M = 0C
N = 0D
O = 0E
P = 0F

Therefore a message to select Section H would be:

F0 43 7E 00 07 7F F7

These messages can (should) only be sent in via MIDI. Do not plug the MIDI OUT to the MIDI IN (that’s just silly) you are asking for trouble. If you want to automate where Section Changes occur, please use the PATTERN CHAIN function. That is its purpose.

These commands will work on the Motif ES but not the original Motif. The Section Change function is not active any longer on the original Motif - it was removed during its life cycle to make room for other features/functions.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 10, 2004 @ 05:45 AM
bosy385
Total Posts:  0
Joined  01-24-2004

Thanks for your reply, Bad_Mister.
So this (unfortunately) means that I can change sections only from the Motif Classic’s itself but NOT via MIDI?
Is this true only for the latest OS or also for old ones?

I’d like to switch pattern sections via several footswitches. Probably there is no workaround if the control via MIDI has been removed?

Are there any other functions that I can’t use with the MO Classic but with the MO ES when using the MFC10? Or the other way round: Which functions of the MO Classic CAN be controlled via MIDI / Sysex messages?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 10, 2004 @ 05:59 AM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002

Check out this thread as well. It provides even more detailed info from Bad Mister.......................frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 13, 2007 @ 12:31 PM
pbregister
Total Posts:  6
Joined  06-06-2007

Bad Mister--

If the original Motif no longer has the capability to change sections externally, can I revert to original OS and regain this capability?

Is there ANY way to make this happen on original Motif8?

Thanks a million!

--Paul

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 15, 2007 @ 06:15 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Don’t know. And I have no way of testing it, sorry.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ A few small questions
Next Topic:

Utility hard velocity curve ››