mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "PLG100-VH questions for Bad Mister/other experts"

Posted on: August 05, 2002 @ 11:43 AM
Cathy
Total Posts:  0
Joined  08-01-2002

A week with the Mo and I’m turning now to the VH plug-in board.

Goal:
To use (I assume) Pattern mode to have Section A with VH my enhancement set to, say, Chromatic with the Mode at Octave Below.  Then have Section B of the pattern with the VH enhancement set to, say, Chromatic with the Mode at 3rd Above.
I thought that I would have been able to use the Section buttons to in Pattern play mode to switch from Section to Section to manipulate things.

Using the Effect Bypass button (Insertion) wouldn’t accomplish my goal because in each Section I do want to use an Effect, just a different VH effect.

I assumed that Pattern mode would be the only place I could do this (to change the VH effects modes), but I just tried it and it doesn’t work.

Is it because MIX settings I store, even in Pattern Mode, are global (for the entire Pattern, not just for each Section)?

How can I, if at all, accomplish my goal?  Is my only choice to have the screen set at SONG/MIX/EDIT, F6 (Effect), SF2, and simply manually change the effect while playing in real-time?

EDITED AS BELOW:
I just spoke with Yamaha by phone.  I was advised that the effect can’t be changed from Section to Section in Pattern Mode.  All I can do is switch from Pattern to Pattern, or Song to Song for that matter . . . but of course that means the sounds will cut out when I switch.

Does any Guru or other know another way?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 06, 2002 @ 10:42 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: PLG100-VH questions for Bad Mister/other exper

Cathy,

There is, of course, a way to accomplish what you want to do but it involves controlling the VH board via System Exclusive messages. As you found out, each Pattern and each Song can recall an entire setup including the configuration of the VH board. But this is not sufficient for you because you need to change the insert effect during the musical composition.

In the back of the PLG100-VH Owner’s Manual in the Appendix you will find all the information to change parameters during sequence playback. That said, it would be a lot of work to setup. Soon, when more support for the new Yamaha OPT (Open Plug-in Technology) starts to appear, you will be able to insert this setup data from the PLG100-VH Editor directly into your sequence (at least I think that is the plan). There is a stand alone editor for the VH board but there is currently no way to directly insert this data into a track of a sequencer. So to do this now means using system exclusive “parameter change” messages.

F0 43 10 4C 04 00 00 5C 00 F7 will select Chromatic type
F0 43 10 4C 04 00 02 00 F7 will select Chromatic with Ocatve Below
F0 43 10 4C 04 00 02 04 F7 will select Chromatic with a 3rd Above

Insert these messages on a track of your SONG (Pattern mode and system exclusive messages are not cool- because they come around every time the section cycles and you want to place these messages in an inconspicuous spot in the song). Place them in a song in a spot that will not interfere with the mix (where they don’t glitch). If you are breathing in, that is enough time.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 06, 2002 @ 06:17 PM
Cathy
Total Posts:  0
Joined  08-01-2002

Thanks Bad Mister

1.  You’re amazing!
2.  What you’re suggesting is way too much cr*p to have to do...not that I’m lazy at all mind you, but still, too much for this gal.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Special Pricing on the Percussion Plug-In Board
Next Topic:

Tuning 300k to Motif? ››